Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Bamboozled

I just found out that for the past 8 months, I have been paying Digital Cable money for ‘standard’ cable. I feel so bamboozled and very duped. It was all a ‘terrible mistake’ of course and they were ‘very sorry’ for my inconvenience. Yeah, whatever … cut the bullshit and give me my money back. The bastards have been over-charging me for 8 months and after they ‘worked it out’ my credit is only $20.43 cents. 8 months … EIGHT months, Remember, I’m no mathematician but that only equates to something like 2 and a half dollars every month. Liars. Thieves. Bastards.

My discovery came when I called to pay my cable bill. After paying the bill I had an “Oh by the way…” addendum to the customer service lady. Oh by the way, I am not getting any channels above channel 47 (Comedy Central) … which means, I am missing out on The History Channel, The Discovery Channel (all of them), The Sci-Fi channel, VH1 among many others. So, I’m paying 101.00+ dollars every month for only 40 something channels (30 of which I’ve de-programmed from my remote browser). Furthermore, WHY is cable so expensive anyway? scripted television is up the river and all the reality shows going on are costing the networks significantly less. No?

She then asked me to do something to my cable box and this is how her cat got out of the bag:

-What Cable Box?
-Your Digital Cable Box.
- I don’t have a box, just a cluster-fuck of a remote control
-Oh
-Oh…


I really should have fussed more … but just wasn’t in the mood to. I was numb and tired and in a non-fussy state-of-mind. I’m actually not a big phone complainer. You know those people who whine “Who’s your manager? … Let me speak to them.” Boohoo Hoo what are you gonna do now? Cry to their superiors? Awwww… Just Get Over it and we all know that ‘superior’ only means “this guy to my left”.

Even though, in all honesty, I would much rather let them KEEP my money but get the satisfaction of cussing them out on the phone – I’ve never ‘lost control’ on the phone, I’ve been very close before but I always feel bad that the person I’m talking to is just “doing their job” and they’re not personally gaining … wait a minute … then why are they such ASSHOLES?

Bitch on the (Cable Company’s) line must think I’m like 12 years old -- talking to me with an attitude from hell. No need to get “ghetto” on me … I’m telling you what my problem is and asking you what my options are, you can either answer me or say I don’t know. I could just picture her eyes rolling at me (actually, I think they just stayed in the back of her head the whole time).

Some of those people are nice, but the majority of anyone on the phone/ customer service reps are really, really, reeeaally just pushing their luck and asking for it. I don’t suppose they’re trained that way? It could be – who knows. I realize that most of them have just developed ‘thorns’ or ‘thick skin’ because they deal with such ass-pains for customers. However, they should be able to differentiate between someone who’s looking for trouble and someone who just wants to watch Flava Flave and Brigitte Nielson get it on. The crappy customers will start with “I want my money back” or “I have a problem” or “I’m going to sue you.

I’m always ‘nice’ though (until I come and blast them on my blog … but that’s kind of nice), I even repeat their name after my greeting (Good afternoon to you too ). I have it all worked out though… the next time I call, I’m going to “Para español, oprima numero dos.” Maybe those people will be nicer.

Note: I liked it better in Ohio when the cable company ‘forgot’ to disconnect the cable from the previous inhabitants of our place … in turn, we also ‘forgot’ to let them know about it.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's more than that. They're probably reimbursing you for the difference in the rate for the service between basic & digital cable, but what they need to reimburse you for is the cost of the equipment rental that they charged you for w/o you actually getting it. I'd still go after them....you might just get 6 months of free cable out of this.

9:40 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Well, Well, Well ... That is sneaky on their behalf. I knew it just didn't make sense that 8 months of bamboozling only resulted in 20 bucks.

You know what, all of a sudden I'm in the most phone-confrontational and fussy mode I've ever been. Hmmmm, who should I call?


Thanks for the info!!!

9:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Start calling, ask for the Accounts Manager............say you have been duped or better say you have been violated (I like that one). Whine, cry & complain. Threaten to report them to the FCC.
Do something.
Remember, the ultimate goal:
6 months free cable (hell... maybe even w/HBO)

11:50 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

The Accounts Manager sounds like a good target ... However, I have some doubts that 'LaShaqueeta' will spare me the 'DEATH BY ATTITUDE' for long enough to ask for the Accounts Manager (and my 6 months of free cable, it's worth a shot though)

Got anything I can say to LaShaqueeta? I gather 'FCC' doesn't have quite the same ring as 'KFC'.

So far all I have is "Oh Hell No..."

12:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The only way you can surpass "Chiquita" is to say that you want to talk to her manager/superior in order to commend her for her outstanding service & attention to detail. That way, you can ensure she'll get you through to her manager. The grass is always greener on the other side of that fence.

3:11 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Ha!
Will give that one a try - if for nothing else than for anthropological kicks.

I was just thinking will I get paid for all this? (rhetorically of course) and then it hit me ... I just thought of a company/ business idea, what if there's a company that takes care of those things for you ... like non-legal lawyers but for customer-service woes. You send an email or call and forget about it. The anti-Christ of Collection Agencies.

COMPLAINERS, Inc. We are BETTER and MORE annoying on the phone than your standard customer-service rep ... so give us your money and we will beat them at their own game (for you).

Cha Ching.

3:57 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I worked at a cable company before and it's kind of like this. You have your lazy ass employees who don't want to do anything and when someone
wants them to do something, they get either irate or bummed out. And you have those who actually work, who have to pick up the slack for everyone else.
The person who originally entered the data, which would have determined your services and your rate, probably was one of the former, some lazy ass employee who entered it fast without caring if they entered it right.
Working at a cable company sucks, but sometimes you have to just take a job where you can, that's how I ended up there.

6:16 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Inside Information!

I love this. What else can you tell me?

You see, I plan to 'resolve' this issue over the weekend because I don't have the energy mid-week - and besides, I am such a bastard on the weekends ...

I know what you mean about taking jobs though - you gotta do it. Would you classify working at a cable company as something Mexico's Vicente Fox considered during his infamous statement of late:

"Mexicans do jobs in the United States that not even the Blacks want."

7:09 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

All right, you want more inside info? Ever see The Cable Guy?
I was that guy (not a psycho, that was my job). At least 90% of us would have hooked you up if you slipped us some extra cash. The thing is, you would have eventually been found out because none of us kept that job for very long. It was one of those jobs you do while looking for another job.
However, no fear, you wouldn't have gotten in trouble. They seriously make so many mistakes that if you play dumb, they assume the mistake was on their end.
There you go, everything you need to know about your cable company.

8:59 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Is there 'code' for "slipping a lil' extra cash"? Like:

Hey, Do You watch HBO? I like HBO.

I like that idea though... PLUS, I am VERY good at playing dumb -- I think I have the 'dumb' look and people actually mistake it for real dumbness (but of course, everyone knows not to be fooled ... because this boy is a BEAST).

Now, if I can just figure out that you need a can-opener to open your tuna ...

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama