Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Three!

As a student, I was always taught to do things in threes or say things in threes, as that would make the most impact. For example, if making a speech or presenting, it would help to have THREE power statements or points:

1) ONE …
2) TWO…
3) THREE.


Bam, convince them.

I’ve tried that a couple of times, I don’t know, I guess it’s one way of doing it but I’m not entirely convinced. The only “THREE” rule that I’ve come to honor is coincidently one that was derived from my slightly less-favored sport of all time. Three strikes and you’re out! One fuck up, two fuck ups … the third one and you’re out, or in deep shit or you just quit. I’m not talking specifically about the legal sense of the term (the whole “Three Strikes” equals an automatic life sentence) … Nah, I’m talking about baking a cake.

Before unleashing, I’d like to first mention that I (believe) that I am a great cook. In general, I can hook up a mean marinade; make a great breakfast, lunch or dinner. However, I’ve been trying to bake this forsaken cake for about 6 months, maybe a year. I don’t know why exactly, but I woke up one day with that goal in mind. Each time has been a bigger disaster than it’s predecessor.


One:
The first time, I actually followed a recipe. I did EVERYTHING, exactly to the tee, measured perfectly, timed perfectly, I just basically did EXACTLY as I was told. When I opened the oven, I found that the cake had never risen. I was left with a flat, hard piece of whatever-the-fuck.

The instructions stressed the point to NOT open the oven until at least 30 minutes have passed. I did exactly that. They also mentioned to poke it with a fork and see if it comes out ‘clean’. It looked clean to me. So … 50 minutes later, WHY WAS MY CAKE still RAW? The outside looked ‘golden crisp’ just as they had described, but I cut that shit open and it was a mess. It basically looked like a big fat omelet.

I did what any person who doesn’t like throwing food out would do. I took it into work. I cut it up into square pieces, put it in the kitchen and wrote ‘EAT ME!’ on an anonymous (and somewhat cowardly) post-it note. In all fairness to my co-workers, I did try the raw cake and nothing happened to me, so I figured I would give them the equal opportunity.

Eventually the laughable word got out about the ‘RAW’ cake in the kitchen. When I was busted (which wasn’t long) I was reduced to begging people to “TRY MY CAKE”. The only reason this worked was because I was able to hustle across the building, as well as downstairs faster than “the word” can travel through the corporate grapevine. I still have every obscene email I received that day saved in a folder named ‘CAKE DISASTER.’

TWO:
After recomposing what little ego I had left, I decided to go at it again.

In most things I fail the first time around, my second attempt is usually sufficient. I followed the same exact recipe but this time, DOUBLED the baking powder and DOUBLED the Vanilla extract. The first one didn’t rise and smelled like Eggs, so this was surely a logical progression. Oh, I also lowered the temperature a little bit, so that I can avoid the over-cooked outside, raw inside dilemma.

This one never went anywhere either? It rose a little bit (granted I did double the baking powder) but it was still the same disaster. To my credit, it tasted the exact same ‘BAD’ as the first one did … so should I decide to ever market and sell my “Terrible Cake”, I know exactly how to get there.

This time around, I didn’t take it into work (for a serious fear of straight up getting fired, or getting my work area booby-trapped). I cut it up into the same size squares as I did the first one, and put it in the fridge. I guess I eventually ate it all, very slowly, one excruciating bite at a time over a 2-month period. I kept convincing myself it was SPLENDA flavored quiche … and somehow that was totally cool.

THREE:
Ah yes, this was my time for redemption. All or nothing. This was IT. This was my moment of truth. The third little piglet had a huff-puff proof brick house.

Going into this, I had ZERO confidence and refused to follow a recipe. I just decided I was doing whatever the hell I felt like and made sense. There was no way it could ever come-out worse. Well … I was terribly wrong and after yesterday, I gave up on baking anything ever again.

My genius decided that the baking powder is fucking with me. My first retaliation was that I decided that I should add THE ENTIRE can of Baking Powder, what’s the worst that can happen? I’ll get an extra-puffy cake. I then refused to add the Baking Powder to the ‘dry’ ingredients and decided that I would switch it up and mix the baking powder into the ‘wet’ ingredients. I put the BP (after today, we can either call IT ‘BP’ or ‘That Which We Do Not Speak Of Anymore’) in with the Eggs, Butter, Milk and Splenda. If you know anything about baking you would smack me right now? Right? I found out the hard way that that-which-we-do-not-speak-of-anymore LOVES sugar, and heat (the molten butter was still sort of warm).

After realizing that there was no hope in controlling the “slight” over-flow of wet ingredients + BP … I acted quickly and added the flour in hopes that it would indeed quell this disastrous uprising. At this point, I was already dejected and didn’t want to even bother putting it in the oven. But what the hell, I came this far.

Need I even mention the outcome? No, because that would only make me even more crabby and pissed, irritable and unpleasant -- It’s only Wednesday, and it feels like a Friday and that can’t be a good thing.

Though I will mention that the salvaged ‘piece’ of cake I managed to gather up from that WRECKAGE tasted a lot better than any of my previous two. Take that Aunt Jemima.

Note: By the way, I went through the entire movie "CRASH" thinking that Dorri, the persian girl was indeed Jamie Lynn DiScala (Meadow, from the Sopranos). I remember thinking that she did a bang-up job and had me 100% convinced she was actually persian. I was wrong, the part was played by the VERY persian, Bahar Soomekh.

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what's going on this weekend that has you counting down from Ate.... For ... Three.

8:43 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Ah - First you call me out on my neglecting to mention "Happy Friday" (I'm assuming this is the same 'anonymous') and now you've caught on to my countdown.

You're very good.

Stay Tuned.

9:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yes, same anonymous.

9:20 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Do you like countdowns?

I personally feel they are very exciting. I love the thick air of suspense descending down on me.

So how do you like that Dana Owens album?

3:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only like the countdown on New Year's eve, because it always amazes me that no matter how drunk everyone is they can still count backwards! [Yet, I always wait for that one year, where everyone will be so drunk that they'll keep getting the numbers confused and the New Year will never begin...]

I absolutely LOVE the Dana Owens Album. ;-) It's been in my car's CD player non stop for the past two weeks. So when are you going to post the next music video link?

4:08 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

That would be a funny new year's 10, 9, 4, 6 ...

but THAT GUY or THAT GIRL will always ruin a funny new year's, they will stay sober just to make sure the countdown goes right ... and go home right afterwards. Funny enough, they always have the loudest voices too.

Yeah, the album is hot. Any favorite tracks? I like 'Simply Beautiful' and 'California Dreamin'

Not quite sure when the next MVOTM will be, It was distracting (even to me) whenever I visited the site. Maybe that was just Shakira ;-) ... she handily distracts me. We'll see.

5:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had time to think this over - no, I don't like countdowns at all!

I associate them with bad memories.
Anesthesiologist: "Count down from a hundred."
Me: "100, 99, 98, 97....zzzz...."

Nothing good ever came out of my countdowns.


Simply Beautiful and California Dreamin' are definitely my most favourite on the album. Then there's Close Your Eyes and Put a Spell on You.

10:56 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

I guess there's SOME justice done to "Put A Spell On You" - I appreciate the re-arrangement.

However, since I am a Nina Simone nut, I would have to say that her original version is on an entirely different level. The song is definitely one of those classics that are so good, that I wouldn't mind if nobody covers it.

Also, how fitting that you like "Close Your Eyes", and yet you don't like the Anesthesiologist. Maybe you can take the CD in to the good doc's and insist that the track stays on repeat. Skip the countdown, and all the other farces.

6:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny observation about the "Close Your Eyes" song.

Actually, I did take a CD last time I "visited" an anesthesiologist. U2. The song: "Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of."

One of my all time favourite.

7:36 AM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Don't feel bad. Cakes aren't easy to make. They're a completely different beast.

As for three, when I think of three, I think of the board game Sorry. Three is the worst card you can have in your hand. It's as useless as you can get. One and two will get you out of start and four will move you backwards four spaces, which is many situations is a good thing.

We played Sorry since we were little kids, except with a slight twist. You were dealt a hand and you always had to have five cards, so there was some strategy involved. The loser got punished, like they had to do the dishes.

12:12 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Anonymous,

I don't know what it is with me and U2. I never got too into them and it probably has something to do with all their really 'long' song titles. It doesn't fit on my iPod (and it starts to scroll) Stuckkkkk Iiiin aaaa Moooommmmmeent .... Ok that was supposed to simulate motion.

5:19 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

ZS,

I have never heard of the board game "SORRY" -- sounds like a riot though (if it'll get me out of dish duty) of course, I am going under the presumption of always winning everytime.

I can get a bit psycho.

I like Monopoly.

5:21 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Cultureshocked - Monopoly's cool too. My wife and kid are so bad at it though. I don't understand why. They take too long to buy houses. I'll mortgage everything just to buy my first house.

We'd all be sitting there with monopolies and both of them would have a big wad of money. I'd have a few one dollar bills left and several houses. After an hour, they'd be selling their properties to pay me for when they landed on my motels. Then they say the game is luck?

And I keep telling them, this game is real life. It's the best game ever made.

2:54 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

I always get accused of 'cheating' somehow. I have been "banned" from becoming the banker ... and still, everytime I kick-ass, I "Cheated" somehow.

I have only cheated in Monopoly ONCE (when I was a lot younger).

9:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama