Friday, July 22, 2005

Strange Fruit

Apart from being one of my absolute all time favorite songs, Strange Fruit is the subject for today.

Out of sheer respect, I’ll start out by talking about the actual song (by now you know that this post will have nothing to do with “strange fruit”, the song). Without sounding like an obsessive fan, that’s certainly the most compelling use of 3 minutes and 33 seconds I’ve ever heard. Historically, Of course, Lewis Allen wrote the lyrics and it was first jammed out by Billie Holiday in 1939. The year is particularly important to mention, especially for anyone who might not immediately get the impact this song had/ has.

I personally prefer a much later Nina Simone version, but nonetheless, it’s a HOT song.

So… Apple sucks. I can’t for the life of me understand why they’re even all over the market like they are. I have been saying this for many years and have gotten into several discussions/ arguments over it.

It’s somewhat gratifying to see that designers can make and maintain a behemoth corporation such as Apple. Let’s not kid ourselves, they have designers cranking out hot-looking products … and…. that’s about it. My question is WHERE is the “cross-functional” presence in that company? It’s not really a question because I’m confident that I know the answer:

Engineering: Hi, we’re the Apple engineers. We like to engineer things that break, quite easily actually. We like to devise batteries that die/ self-destruct. Last but not least, is everyone’s favorite; we like to engineer hard-drives that also die with no apparent cause.

Marketing: Hi, we’re the Apple marketers. We like to market things that break easy. THANK GOD for our hot designers because otherwise, we wouldn’t quite know what to market. We love to appeal to the market of people with active lifestyles. The best part is that the products we market are very fragile and cannot really endure an active lifestyle.

Support: Hi, we’re the Apple support team. We FIX everything, and man, are we busy. We’re definitely the BUSIEST people in the company. Things are always being sent back, but don’t stress over paying our salaries Mr. Steve Jobs. You see; we’re REALLY good at charging customers practically the same dollar amount that it cost them to get the damn thing. Ever heard of stores doing a 2 for 1 special? Ha! We figured out how to reverse that and give ‘em 1 for 2.

Sales: Hi, We’re the Apple sales reps. Yes indeed, we are the frontline of this shenanigan and are usually placed in situations where we have to deal with IRATE customers who come into our stores and cuss like mad people. However, we’re so numb to it by now, that we’ve developed some thick skin, thick skin with really, really sharp quills. You see, we get testy and condescending, and try to convince the customer that they actually dropped their iPod. Despite having several customers complaining at once, we will STILL insist on telling our customers that these OTHER customers don’t have issues with their products.

I kid, I kid, it’s Friday and I ain’t ‘bout to hate that much. Serious props to the Apple designers though…actually; nothing happened to MY iPod, I’m sort of writing this on behalf of someone else which is perhaps why this can be classified as a PG post. After all, I might get some free accessories out of this whole incident.

Happy Friday.

Note: Venus Williams was in town on Wednesday night and there wasn’t a damn thing I could do about it. Today: Glass

21 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

{koff, koff} I am one of those people you argue with. I am an Apple addict. I will _only_ use Apple computers (always have and always will) and I only work on Apple computers on campus. And it is MY experience that PCs lock up, break down, and are generally more vexing than a Mac ever thought of being.

My 2 cents for Friday.

12:56 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Oh southerngirl ... were you ever in one of those commercials?

The commercial folks are too funny:

"Hi, I used to be a PC user, but now, I’m a Mac user and I love spending my money on Macs. Why do you think I’ve been wearing the same holed T-shirt for so long?”

In college, I also used to work at a place where I baby sat computers (Macs and PCs). I used to HATE my shift in the MAC rooms.

3:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOLOLOL! I _wish_ i had been in the comercials. I could be living the life of Riley there days.

Nope, I started using computers on a Mac and I was sold. Never hve used a PC. (thank the gods)

And there is nothing wrong with holed t-shirts, thank you very much.

I used to work were I had to babysit computers in a lab (MACS AND PCS) and I HATED my shift in the PC rooms. Windows sucks!!!!!

7:18 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

You're right! what I was I thinking? Holed T-shirts are lots of fun!

We would have gotten along great had we worked together. I used to take in the XBOX (and connect it to the 15 ft. Projection Screen) when I worked in the Mac room because I didn't even like surfing the net on a Mac.

8:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{Holed T-shirts are lots of fun!}

Depends on the where the holes are. ; )

8:20 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

do you play tennis? is that why you are an addict?

i am a mac user. sue me. and my redundant speech I did design on PC's for a long time before going to macs. A confirmed mac hater, until i started using them.

won't go back. No way in Hell. Unless i am struck with a stupid pipe on my way back from the bathroom and duct taped to one, for months. And brainwashed into thinking that PCS can outway a MaC for design purposes. and then i would be lying just to get free...

;-)

steel...

9:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melanie-

High five girl! If you are _ever_ tied to a pipe, I will set you free. I promise. Friends don't let friends use PCs.

12:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um-m-m-m, sorry. I read "stuck" instead of "struck" But I _will_ unduct tape you and set you free.

12:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TFL,

Right on! It's another mutiny!

5:12 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Cultureshocked - as someone who doesn't even own a pc, I'm starting to like Macs. Why? Because they went to Unix. I'm a Unix user. Have several linux boxes, an AIX box (IBM's unix) which I never use, and now 2 Macs, including the laptop I'm writing this from.

I can't stand Windows. Looking at it makes me ill. For one thing, it's ugly. For another thing, it's soulless. For yet another thing, it doesn't work. I keep hearing from people who say "Hey Zombieslayer, you work on computers for a living right? Well, can you fix my computer." I simply tell them, "no, I assume you're computer is Windows and I don't know a thing about it. I do Unix only." Now if they had a Mac, as of OS X, I'd be stuck helping them. :p

11:41 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I meant to say "your computer." Geez, my spelling is so bad today. :(

11:43 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Sorry for the delayed response as I've had a busy weekend. Let's check the news:

southerngirl (1), Point well made about locations of the holes. Now, does size matter?

TFL (1), The 'MAN OF THE YEAR' is the most well deserved title/ award I've ever seen!!! Thanks for the link, it was a quality laugh.

TFL (2), Perhaps sometime soon. It'd be far too 'serious' of a discussion and well, I'm not that serious of a guy (and I like to curse often). Would you like the honors?

Melanie, (assuming you're commenting on the Venus Williams cameo on my post) I play recreationally, but it's not why I'm an addict.

As far as MAC vs. PC for the design industry, I'll agree that MOST designers prefer macs, however us poor Industrial Designers don't have all our (definitely cooler) programs available on Mac (reason #5467846 Macs suck).

TFL (3), You are WRONG. Macs are not better than PCs.

Southerngirl (2), Another Mutiny?!?! It's happening too often, is RUM a factor?

Zombieslayer,

You like UNIX and Macs? I've come to known you as someone who enjoys a challenge, therefore it makes sense because both of those are an absolute CLUSTER FUCK! for lack of a better term.

in an unrelated subject, what is the story behind the icon (displayed by your name). Does it change every so often? Are the zombies always green? is the Traget always a cross or will we ever get to see Laser targets (you know, the three dots forming a triangle)?

TFL (4), They're all smart but PCs are still better.

6:25 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

BREAKING NEWS:

This just in, PCs are STILL better than MACs.

details soon.

6:26 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Cultureshocked - all right. When I get rich, I'm buying you a Linux box. You will see how Linux does circles around Windoze. Oh, and you don't need anti-virus software. Unix (Linux is a fake Unix) does not get viruses.

As for my icon, no, this was the 2nd one. Yeah, zombies are usually green due to rot. And I just happen to like crosshairs like that. It's less work, considering my avatar took 10 minutes to make with The GIMP.

9:14 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

YESSS!! buy me things!

I've actually never used Unix or Linux. However, as far as viruses and stuff, that's why anti-virus is there ... it keeps that shit away and cleans it up (after the fact, when my dumbass clicked on something I shouldn't have).


Compromise? PCs are the best, UNIX is second followed by Linux and MACs in last and loser space.

9:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1. Of course size matters!!!!

2. Rum is always a factor.

3. Mscs (and the really cool people who use them) rule. Nuff said.

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um-m-m, make that "Macs". (I am the world's WORST typist.)

I shall buy you a Mac when I get rich and you'll finally have a REAL computer of your own. {eg}

12:36 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

TFL, Viva La Resistance!

Southerngirl, good to know the information you shared (in regards to holes on t-shirts).

You are not the world's worst typist, you're probably using that shitty keyboard that comes with a mac (reason #432 why Macs suck).

It's ok though.

Also, when you get rich ... buy me RUM in lieu of a mac (since that is ALWAYS a factor).

12:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew you were going to say something about me using an Apple keyborad. I just KNEW it.

Well, la-di-da, I'm using a bi, Macally keyboard and I'm still the world's wurst typist.

And when I get you good and drunk on rum, I shall torture you with feathers until you admit that Macs are better.

(sitting here very comfy in her holey t-shirt)

1:42 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

How did you ‘Just KNOW’ I was going to bring up that shitty keyboard? I could have brought up the even shittier mouse with a single-click button.

You’re all inside my head, aren’t you?

I’m not that receptive to torture, unless of course it’s the type seen in “La Tortura”.

1:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, first--who _types_ using their mouse?

Second, I have a two-button mouse and never use the right button. Why have something extra when the inital equipment works just fine?

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama