Thursday, July 14, 2005

Cop Out

Sorry, I can’t write today either … psych.

I’ve been meaning to complain about this forever. I live in a decent part of town, probably the nicest part short of living out in the suburban Boondocks. It’s cool, there’s a decent amount of stuff to do, the ‘hip’ hang out night-spots (I’m still trying to figure this one out) are ‘supposedly’ a block away from where I live. There’s no shortage of young and dumb people (myself excluded, of course) in this area.

It’s a predominantly yuppie urban settlement I should say. It seems that everyone leaves around the same time and comes home at similar times. For example, I ALWAYS come home at the EXACT same time as the girl who’s rocking her designer fashion but is driving a shitty car. Forget the SHIT mobile … this thing is a piece of work (not the one I described in my previous post when someone tried to sell my car), but it’s definitely a close second.

That’s beside the point; I guess I just wanted to introduce this character because she will be having her own SPECIAL on Culture Shock in an upcoming post.

So, the point is WHY do so many cops live in my neighborhood? I feel safe and all (I guess, in a non-Rodney King or Amadou Diallo sort of way) but shouldn’t these people live out in the suburb? It’s intimidating enough to fight the commoners for a parking spot, I don’t need the scenario where some motherfucker can hold a grudge and ticket your ass for taking their spot. They’re EVERYWHERE, on my street and on every adjacent side street (I also didn’t know they were allowed to “take” their police cars home).

Maybe I’m being territorial or over-reacting, I mean cops are people too, right? They just carry guns and sticks and shit like that. I guess I could learn to live with that.
Fine, I’ll learn to live with cops as my neighbors … I’ll just keep going on my merry, stress-free way, walking to the store or pharmacy or whatever.

FUCK NO! That ain’t happening. These guys bring their dogs home. They walk them everywhere and just leave them out in balconies. German Shepherds are some mean looking motherfuckers. The Police German Shepherds are even worse, because they’re TRAINED to growl at people who look suspicious and well, I am quite possibly the most suspicious-looking person in this Brady Bunch of a city. The cat with the canary in his mouth, the fat kid with his hand in the cookie jar, whatever reference you want to make … I done did it!!!!

Any given day is National German Shepherd Parade day. Get your protective armor, flack jackets and “bad boy spray” … incase some shit goes down on your way to buy milk.
(The Bad Boy Spray is L.M.’s concoction to control the dog, Theo. It’s a mixture of water and vinegar and is the stuff of Genius, just put it in a spray bottle and spray away. Even if the dog is being good, just chase them with it … you know, if you’re real cruel and unusual).

I should mention the reason why this is so fresh in my memory that it’s today’s subject on Culture Shock. I was having the worst serving day I have ever had (maybe 6 or so first serves during an entire 2 set match) … and I blame the dogs. They intimidate me. They bark, they stare they suck. I think they know it too, the tennis courts are right next to COP-CENTRAL, a group of 6 houses that I presume is occupied by our men and women of the law. These people have barbecues and stuff all the time, and well … co-workers are always invited to your barbecue, right? So any minute gathering yields no less than the entire Police Car squad of the North East United States … worry not though, they’re all getting fatter with beer and hot dogs.

Come to think about it, I don’t have any friends who are cops. Maybe, my friend Brandon (who started out in the same major) switched majors and decided to pursue his passion of becoming a Police officer. Since graduation, I have lost touch, so perhaps I DO know a police officer. That should say something, If I don’t know any cops then they’re probably anti-social and un-cool people. I could be wrong, but remember, I know a Personal Trainer (shout out to the Swiss Miss), a Doctor-in-training (Hong Kong in the house), An Ornithologist (yeah, look that one up, Beeyatch), and many, many more, but no COPS.

Assholes (aside from Brandon, and other potentially cool cops).

Note: I still won, 6-0 in the second but my opponent was experiencing a slight mental breakdown. I guess I should just be glad (my OTHER racquet) didn’t get smashed to pieces out of frustration.Today: Steel

18 Comments:

Blogger Mybrid said...

I love dogs, but can't stand the sight of German Shepards. Besides the fact that we have a neighbour with one really mean (he killed one poodle and bit two others dogs in our neighbourhood), I heard too many stories of first encounters from my family who survived the Holocaust.

The Nazis have destroyed the image of that dog in my eyes (and in the eyes of many survivors). Unfortunate, too, knowing that this is considered one of the top rescue dogs in disasters and probably when trained right is not the evil I think he is.

As for cops - I only know one. Met him a couple of months ago. I feel too guilty when I see cops. I always feel like I did something wrong (and I'm far from being guilty of anything worthy of attention from a cop).

9:08 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

P Chef - Is your sister also a suspicious looking character? But seriously, you never mentiond what you thought of your sister's soon to be husband, ex-cop ... dude. I won't tell

Mybrid, I was unaware of the German Shepards' involvement in the Holocaust. Is it a play on words? or Is that why they have the name "German"? -- Please ellaborate.

And as for your neighbor's dog who EATS poodles --
F%$^ING AWESOME, I wanna move to your neighborhood and enjoy that scenery. Nothing "cool" like that ever happens here. (Although, there are a couple of chihuahuas and weiner dogs running around the neighborhood...hmmm)


TFL, we had this huge spelling mis-agreement and I can't believe you let me get away with "Shepherd" as opposed to "Shepard".

State Troopers don't seem to bother me as much as PD folks. The PD officers all look like they're pissed off, and all serious 100% of the time. You know, with their cool Oakleys (so 1990's) and shit.

12:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I knew one cop, but he quit the force after just one year because he said all the other cops were psychos.

12:27 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

NICE!

Nothing like PSYCHO cops servin' and protectin' it up.

This reminds me of Reno 911, I've never seen an episode, just previews but it looks like something I'd enjoy.

1:31 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

btw, southerngirl ... have we touched before?

So mysterious, I like it.

4:14 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I have mixed feelings on cops. I used to hate them in my 20s with a passion, because I knew some of them personally. Many of them were the ones in high school who were the biggest dorks, the type of guys that ended up in a garbage can and now are in a position of power, which is a scary thing.

But I've also met some decent cops who treat it as a job. They know they don't have the brains to be an electrician or an engineer, yet they want to keep the streets safe. Plus, some of the better cops I've known surprisingly are the ones that have a family history of being cops.

Worst cops - Houston. I've had several unfriendly encounters with cops on meth or coke. That's not fun. I'd bet that at the bare minimum, 10% of them are drug addicts. I wouldn't be surprised if it was closer to 30%. The rest seem to be alcoholics, which aren't much better.

Best cops - surprisingly Oakland. These guys try to get involved in the community and try to be friends with the community instead of legal thugs, which many cops nowadays are.

Most annoying cops - small town cops. Low IQs, big egos, nothing to do. Bad combination.

4:18 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

(southerngirl, by 'touch' I am of course implying "met" -- i.e. shook hands, hugged, etc ... Do I know you?)

Zombieslayer, I think "Worst" cops handily goes to Cincinnati PD (I lived there).

They've had the FBI investigate them and they even refused to co-operate with the feds. Some kid hacked into their jones and transmitted police conversations on a radio station.

It was shocking to hear the race chip on their shoulders.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I grew up in Cincinatti, its white city USA! crazy.

I think Shepards are some of the coolest dogs around, and i have even been attacked by one. Its the crazy owners that mess up dogs...and bad breeding. kinda like people.

as for cops, i don't know any. Not sure i want to. There have to be some cool ones out there. My hope is that there are.

and no, we have never met...but i bet you know somebody i know. 6 degrees of seperation.

;-)

9:01 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Oh Melanie,

You're "southerngirl" ? Don't think my fragile cultureshocked heart can handle pseudonyms.

Kudos to you for growing up in Cincinnati and leaving there. THAT was a city where EVERYONE was born and raised there. The typical intro for any conversation was "What High School/ Grade School/ Kindergarten did you go to"?

Tell us how you were attacked. Bitten?

9:34 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

I am not southerngirl. Not my pseudonym. I am melanie...um yea. thats me. so your quest for her touch is still eminent. sorry to confuse.

As I walked past the shepard, and he was on a leash, which ended just about where i was, he bit me. The father of my friend had terrified this poor dog, who was on a leash all the time. One of my best friends in college had a great shephard. Loyal and kind.

thats the way it happened. really.

;-)

6:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope, we haven't touched, except pixally. A friend in DC turned me on to your blog and I enjoy reading your outlook and take on things.

Yeah, the idea of pyscho cops is a bit offputting. I prefer to serve and protect myself, thank you very much.

12:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW, Reno 911 is hysterical.

12:13 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Melanie,

The leash ALWAYS ends just about where you are (enough to get you bitten). EVERYONE knows that.

No biggie on the confusion, you're Melanie, got it! And as far as knowing someone I know, (since I lived in Cincinnati) It'll probably be less than 6 degrees. Start naming names ... :)


Southerngirl,

I see, I thought we may have met somewhere before. Glad you enjoy my outlook and take on things.

You live in DC?

I'll take your word for it and will have to start watching Reno 911. MORE PSYCHO cops. YES!

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, I don't live in DC. I am a true southern girl.

As for Reno 911, at least _their_ pyscho cops are funny.

12:43 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

How truly southern? Virginia?
or would I have to drive a lot further ;)

7:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You think that Virginia is the south??? Virginia looks like north from here.

I'm in a land (culturalwise, pacewise, and landwise), far, far away from the Northeast.

12:47 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I'll definitely stay away from Cincinatti then. Anything worse than Houston PD has to be really bad.

3:56 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

southerngirl,

I guess my question was more a case of wishful thinking.

Zombieslayer,

Cincinnati is somewhat of a boring town. Cops or no cops ... STAY AWAY!

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama