Thursday, June 30, 2005

Today is the Day

My palms are sweating (not really, but they might as well be). I am THAT excited about today. I butchered some of my predictions for the French Open last month (mostly on the women’s side … pretty much had the men’s draw nailed down). Being one who learns from his mistakes, I won’t make any predictions. Granted this would be much easier now that I have a 1 in 4 chance (the tournament is at Semi-Final stage) of being right.

Like the majority of tennis followers, there is one particular match that intrigues me more than all other semi-finals; the bottom semi-final between defedning champion #2 seed Maria Sharapova and 2000, 2001 champion #14 seed Venus Williams. I took the liberty to make the little showdown poster pictured below (sign #4 your evening was extremely uneventful).

I won’t say who I want to emerge the victor in this match. I will say that I have a CLEAR favorite who I am rooting for 100% of the way. The reason I refrain from mentioning who I favor is because I don’t want to jinx anything. So, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE (three ‘PLEASES’, one for whatever kind of deity you believe in) let me have my way.

As for the men’s side, I expect to see an entertaining Sunday final between a Swiss future-legend and a big serving American (this is slightly questionable, if Johansson can have his way). Notable though, the Federer-Hewitt semi-final (played on Friday) will be an incredible match.

Swiss people make good chocolate, don’t take sides in any war, and have good army knives and banks. For the purposes of Sunday though, they will also claim a Wimbledon Three-peat in the form of Roger Federer. Poor Roddick, as great as he's playing, I don’t think he or anyone else for that matter, realizes exactly WHAT he’s up against.

The unfortunate obvious is that I will not watch the Sharapova-Williams match. Not because I stopped watching television (because drastic rules like that ALWAYS have exceptions, this would certainly be one of them) but because I now have to go and listen to some very stubborn chefs (with limited industrial design street cred) tell me how to do my job. Fear not, “Feisty Little Scotsman” is in tow for this battle and I’ll be sure to let him do all the “talking”.

Those of you who can watch, enjoy it on my behalf (and cheer for who I'm cheering for).

(IT'S AIR TIME BABY ... AIRTIME)


Note: My BEST bet is to try and time my lunch break so that I can at least watch SOME of the match. Besides, everyone knows that lunch at sports bars with really BIG television screens everywhere is always fun.

6 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I actually don't like men's tennis. Too many aces. Also, you don't see many rallies, like you see in women's tennis. They're like a boxing match that lasts 10 seconds. I'd rather see a fight.

3:21 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

CS:

So I watched the match live this afternoon. And sent you a "message" of whom I thought you were rooting for AFTER the match was over. Was I right?

6:58 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Yo TFL,
No, unfortunately didn't watch the soccer match. Saw highlights though ... Awesome goals. Looking forward to Arg. V Nigeria tomorrow (the youth) and Braz V. Morrocco. I don't know what that Argentine's name is, but that kid (Short and Stocky) WILL BE the next hottest thing in soccer.

Zslayer, I agree with you. Women's tennis is much more entertaining because it's "up in the air". The heavy screaming adds an entertainment value as well (you know, for those of use who have a "Vivid Imagination"

Mybrid, You were SO wrong. I am a FANATIC, 100% OBSESSED with the player that you DIDN'T guess. It's actually a little bit scary how much of a fan I am.

10:46 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

so sports. not much into tennis. but a sports bar at lunch, that sounds intriguing. and watching MEN's tennis would work for me.

just some girly blather to stir up the testosterone element here....

;-)

11:31 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Melanie, are you subliminally hinting at the location of our first date? (a sport's bar)

:-)

girly (anything) is sure to stir up some testosterone element. I ain't hatin'.

AND also, your signature "wink" [;-)] is well cool.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

Love your selection of FINAL photo. :-)

4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama