Tuesday, June 28, 2005

Rollover!

There were 10 in the bed and the little one said…(I can’t believe Cingular has not taken advantage of this yet, I guess they’re too busy overcharging me).

As a child I always preferred that particular rhyme. For one, it was much quicker to count down from 10 to 1, and thereby end my misery. The other option of course was that cursed “99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer. Take one down, pass it around, 98 bottles of beer on the wall” and agonizingly so on, etc. forever. Who has time to go through that entire song?? Every time that farce was brought upon us, I knew Miss Morris just wanted to enjoy her day without worrying about that whole pesky teaching part. She was mad cool though.

Although I must say, with age and experience (yeah, clearly A LOT of both), I am beginning to see things in a much different light. My theory is that some freak must have written that song. I guess its innocence is arguable to some extent -- maybe I’m just hyper-perverse.

Firstly, 10 in the bed are way too many to start with. There should have been a weed out process where the fugly ones were somehow stopped before getting to “bed” stage (unless of course you’ve just got done handling 99 bottles of beer from the wall). Regardless, it would have made more sense to start with 4 or 5 in the bed, at least that way the damn song would have been shorter.

Subliminal, undertone, weird or whatever else you wish to refer to it as, the part about rollover is a source for concern. TEN? 10 people rolling over so handily means a pretty big bed. Where can one get this bed at? My bed is sort of small, and I can't really rollover. Perhaps that's why I fall off my bed in the middle of night.

Does Size Matter? I guess not. Why else would ‘they’ allow the little one to call all the shots? Oh wait, it's possible that it DOES make sense. I rebut. Size, DOES matter and therefore the other nine must have willingly “fallen” off the bed because the little one; just wasn’t cutting the cake.

Another observation is that the little one is obviously a male. Had the little one been a female, the song would have abruptly ended with “There were TWO in the bed.” You know, to cuddle… and talk the next morning.

Talk about anti-climactic (the ‘freak’ writer of this song lets it slip towards the ending). The end of the song (as it is, without the cuddling and talking part) ends with such a disappointment. After everyone (apart from the little one) falls off the bed, the song ends with something like “And The Little One Says Goodnight.” You would think something half “cool” would happen after all that rolling-over. No?

Finally, the little one is still young and has not been through the school of Hard Knox (or listen to any Biggie, Pac, Jay Z or Nas album). I give him zero street-cred. EVERYONE knows that you don’t screw-over nine people and go to bed. That’s borderline stupid to not only go to bed, but also go to bed in the same vicinity as those you’ve just got done backstabbing. Amateurish.

I just realized that nothing in the song says the '10' were people. Fair enough, 10 (english speaking) bed mites makes it still applicable.

Note: My post on Wimbledon is coming up sometime this week, just as the tournament is about to end. I do want to express my extreme irritation at everyone who refers to WimbleDon as “Wim-bell-TON”.

6 Comments:

Blogger Mybrid said...

Yeah, I never heard the 10 in bed thing either. I figured it was CS's imagination.

1:57 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

fl, not unlikely that this entire blog is a figment of his imagination and none of it happened!

3:36 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Wow

"When The Cat Is Away, The Mice Will Play."

Ever heard of that one?

Looks like some shit's been Abrewin' during my (hard) work hours.


But seriously, I'm surprised neither of you have heard "There were 10 in the bed, and the little one said rollover, rollover ... so they all rolled over and One fell down. There were 9 in the bed and the little one said ... etc."

TFL, your question is a trick question. My answer is YES, I have been "following" Wimbledon. Remember, I'm not supposed to be watching TV anymore.

Mybrid, On second glance at your picture, It's not entirely obvious that that is indeed a sunset (It could be a sunrise) in which case you could be anywhere on the East Coast of the United States of America :)

6:33 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

CS, considering I'm at work in the D.C. area at 6am, how likely is it that I'd be awake at 5am standing by an open sea/ocean?
Of course with my freaking GPS, anything can happen at 5am!

And before you come back at me about a possible vacation by the ocean, then there's your answer. Vacation can only be back home! (where the picture was taken) ;-)

7:21 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I must have heard the words differently because the way I heard it, it went something like:
99 bottles of beer on the wall
99 bottles of beer
if one of those bottles just happens to fall
they'll be 98 bottles of beer on the wall

It's good for a long drive, but by the time you get to about 70, you're already getting psychotic.

11:07 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

I like that version better. Who knows, maybe I misquoted.

I cannot imagine driving to that song, I will indeed wreck, or "Go Psychotic" as you aptly put it. Only that's more likely to come at 90 for me.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama