Friday, July 01, 2005

L8er G8tor

I won’t stay so mysterious anymore. I just want to share how happy I am Venus Williams held it down and gave Maria Sharapova a lesson (I hope she never forgets) in grass-court tennis. Not to say that I don’t like Maria Sharapova, she’s probably #2 in my favorites list … but we all know, 2 is not a winner and Venus is just on an entirely different level when it comes to my favorite sports personalities. (Noteworthy, I’m not a big fan of Serena Williams, I would cheer for Maria Sharapova over Serena Williams any day).

I spent the entire day yesterday on edge. First it was the chefs (who were very nice and cooperative) and then it was the AGONY of mistiming my lunch break. This was a result of an unforeseen rain delay at Wimbledon, which caused the play schedule to be delayed by about an hour or two. You sneaky bastards. Nonetheless, I could care less; I was very excited about the end result.

I did spend the entire evening hoping to catch a replay (and I did, I stayed up until about 11:30 or midnight) of the match. Yes, I know I broke my no-TV thing … but let’s just ignore that for a second. Enough tennis. What else has been going on?

In other news, Fourth of July is coming up. I’ll be spending the long weekend in Atlanta, a.k.a. “MY CITY”. I realize my long weekend isn’t really a ‘long weekend’ because I have to sacrifice an entire day from this ‘long weekend.’ The drive to and from Atlanta will handily take up that extra day but it’s worth it. There are probably 5 cities in the entire U.S. (along with Acute Bronchitis) that I will allow to infringe on my weekend time. Atlanta happens to be one of them.

I know I shouldn’t (publicly) admit this, but I have a very uneasy feeling about the trip. It’s hard to describe. I guess the best I can do is saying that I feel like “something will go wrong” somewhere. Of course, I have no reason to believe this; I am in exceptional company driving down and equally phenomenal hosts down in Atlanta.

To minimize my paranoia, I have elected not to contribute to the drive (even though I am very confident in my driving skills … but you know…). Instead, maybe I can provide long-drive entertainment; I've always thought I’d make a BAD DJ (Not bad meaning bad, but bad meaning good).

But it’s cool, I’m confident that my worries are unfounded and are direct results of me just writing on little sleep.

About several months ago, I promised myself that I would sleep for at least (the recommended) 7 hours a night. I’ve been pretty good with this. As I mentioned somewhere way back in this blog, I’m definitely NOCTURNAL … but again, I’m working on it. As a result, my ‘promptness’ at work has sometimes suffered.

It doesn’t help that my boss, Feisty Little Scotsman, commutes for OVER 1 hour and still manages to get there by 7:00 a.m. I, on the other hand, have about a 6 mile, 10 minutes commute and I’m proud when I make it in before 8:30 a.m. So its cool, I can sit here and appreciate that fact that making double (not exactly sure, maybe more) my salary automatically relegates FSL to “early bird” status.

I’ll probably try and elaborate on this sometime when I’m not running so late.

Happy Friday.

Note: I went to the driving range AGAIN yesterday afternoon. Will discuss during next week’s posts.

10 Comments:

Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

some people were born to be on time. and they annoy me. i can never accomplish that. either i am super early, or late. but never in the middle...keeps life interesting. i guess.

so atlanta is a great great city! sounds like you are going to have fun despite the "impending doom" you are feeling. drive safely. see you on the other side of your adventure!

;-)

9:49 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

YEEEEEAH. I'm actually not too bad everywhere else, work is the only time where my punctuality gets iffy and that's because it's so damn early in the morning.

I just realized we're going to get there at 6, 7 or 8 a.m. in the morning.


Any big plans for 0704?

2:05 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

going to visit some college pals. Catch up on old times. try and stay sober!!

be fun, stay safe. time is irrelevant when you are on vacation, cuz it slips by soooo quickly!

;-)

7:23 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I heard Atlanta's a wonderful party town. I've been through the airport but that's it. We had made plans in the mid-90s to see Timothy Leary speak in Atlanta once (we were living in Houston), but he died. One of these days, you'll have to elaborate on why you like Atlanta so much. I've also heard they have wonderful strip clubs.

4:29 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Zombieslayer,

PROFESSIONALLY: Atlanta is home to some great design firms that do outstanding work.

ARCHITECTURALLY: Great buildings, awesome skyline, and the word 'LANDSCAPE ARCHITECT' actually means something to that city.

CULTURALLY: The majority of Atlanta residents have moved there from somewhere else. It's a very diverse city.

POLITICALLY: For a city in the "deep south" the split between black and white is not as tense as other cities. It's a great example for a progressive and cohesive co-existance between races. One of few cities where you will see A LOT of interracial couples.

SOCIALLY: There's no 'terretorial' bullshit going on (since most of the residents don't claim it as their PROPERTY). It's very easy to meet people and you NEVER get asked what high school you went to.

ENVIRONMENTALLY: Given the amount of traffic in Atlanta, there are still vast areas where the city's natural scenery has been preserved and un-fazed by commercial expansion.

MUSICALLY: Atlanta is home to some of the most talented musicians. The music scene there is very advanced and often draws parallels and influences from various genres including Jazz, Hip Hop, R&B, Rock, Country.

ENTERTAINMENT-ALLY: It's very hard to get bored in Atlanta. Among many other things to do, the club scene is on point (including the strip clubs as you pointed out).

PERSONALLY: Although a big city, it reminds me of a small town called Blacksburg, VA.

5:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Instead of responding to comments - where is today's blog???

I need my fix.

5:53 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

WHAT?

Did you hit 'REFRESH' on your browser?

6:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How many times an hour do I need to hit refresh? And does it involve clubbing you over the head?

6:49 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Well, I see on my 'PAGE VIEW' counter that you really wanted to find that post and are willing to hit REFRESH as many times as needed until SOMETHING shows up :)

I only kid, there was no post this morning. Stay tuned for tomorrow morning.

Also, clubbing my head is unnecessary at this time.

AND speaking of ... here is a 'joke' I heard this past weekend:

"A baby seal walks into a club"

7:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, you got a VERY loud laugh over your joke line.

LOVED it!

7:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama