Monday, May 23, 2005

Enough Was Enough

Akat was a bully in first grade. He was just one of those kids who stole people’s lunches, pushed kids around etc. I should CLARIFY, that I’ve NEVER been pushed around or physically bullied … However, my lunch was indeed ‘taken’ from me a couple of times. Let’s go back to 1989, when yours truly was a 6-year-old bad-ass (except for the part about getting my lunch stolen … but that happens to EVERYBODY).

I was the fastest kid in the class; all races came down to the wire and it was always between my friend from back then, Michael, and myself. Some I won, and some I conceded my defeats (Although, I could SWEAR he got head starts on a couple of those). This paragraph of information will come back into play later on in this story, so keep it mind.

Back to Akat and his mean ways. The whole year, Akat continued to do his thing; I don’t even think it’s possible to eat as much stolen-lunch. In hindsight, I think it was more of a hobby and he probably just collected all those lunches. I don’t suppose he Robin-Hooded it and gave it to the poor.

Needless to say, this started wearing on me and I was getting pissed. A pissed 6 year-old is not someone you should test. I was getting tired of his ways, and frankly, I was just downright sick of going hungry at school more than anything else. As an adult, I fully understand that hungry equals irritable.

One fateful day … the LAST day of school before we moved over to the ‘big’ building; Akat approached me and “asked” for my lunch. I bravely stood up to him and said NO. I guess Mr. Man wasn’t used to hearing the word ‘NO’ and after taking a moment to gather his composure and get over his shock, he foolishly snatched my lunch from my hand and ran.

Fate would also have it that the day before, my little Thundercats (or was it G.I. Joe?) backpack gave out (what is it with me and backpacks)? So instead, I rocked my dad’s metal Samsonite briefcase to school.

So far we have:

1) A bully
2) A very fast me
3) A metal briefcase
4) The wrong day to fuck with me

Akat took that sandwich and bolted. Like a true Lion that I was/ am … I let my poor prey scurry over for a little bit before I take stride after them. Poor Akat, he had NO SHOT of out-running me on the playground … I was on his tail faster than he could look over his shoulder. Despite my handicap of running while carrying a big metal briefcase, I had finally caught up with Akat (unfortunately for him).

If you had to re-write the ending to this story … what would you suppose I did?

a) Stop, confront Akat, get scared and run back?
b) Got so excited that I caught up and kept running past him.
c) SWING my big metal briefcase and DECK him on the back, leaving him out cold on the playground turf.


Let me give you a hint…. I caught up with the bully and swung that briefcase like it was the last thing I would ever do. I still feel very guilty about this. Akat (and my lunch) just dropped to the ground. I didn’t even pick up my lunch. I walked away to the sounds of a cheering nation of bullied bastards who didn’t have the balls to stick up for themselves. I walked away like I was Rambo and done just messed up some fiery building behind me. I just walked away.

To this day, I have no idea what happened to Akat. I don’t suppose it was really serious, I didn’t get him on the head … I struck him on the back and I think the force of the blow was what knocked him down (as opposed to some internal damage I did). It couldn’t have been anything serious or my parents would have gotten a call. Right?

Either way, at the time it felt so good to serve him justice and besides doing it (hitting him) in the first place, my only other regret was not sticking around to watch him get up and cry … like a little girl.

Note: Since then, I’ve been in about 4 different schools in 3 different countries and have NEVER been bullied again. I guess word does spread and get around.

3 Comments:

Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Yeeeaah!
I'm so sick of hearing teachers say "just tell an adult." Screw that. Hit first, hit hard, and keep hitting until the bully goes down. Well, I guess with you, it only took one blow.
Awesome story. Almost brought a tear to my eye.

1:22 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Glad you were able to 'keep it together' and hold back the tears Zslayer.

Bully stories are sort of hard to write/ re-visit ... there's just some serious psychosis associated with that stuff-- luckily this one had somewhat of a 'happy ending' (at least for me).

To the Bullied: KNOCK THEIR ASS OUT!!!

To the Bullies: Watch your back, literally.

3:25 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Just made some editions. I realized that I was indeed six years old, not four. Still a bad-ass, still a pimp.

6:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama