Friday, July 29, 2005

1,000 words

You know what? It’s been a long time coming and it’s about time I ‘comment’ on this particular observation I’ve been having.

There are certain people in this world (you know who you are)… who walk around with an extra appendage; an extremity that most of us ‘normal’ people, aren’t so blessed to have. Being competitive in nature, I would normally be jealous or envious – of course, who wouldn’t? However, I’m also a relatively reasonable guy and my feelings of jealousy and envy have been overshadowed by an overwhelming sense of normalcy.

Yes, these certain people in this world (you know who you are) have seemed to cheat the evolutionary process and grow a fucking camera dangling alongside their hand. I just want to say that you are all bordering the entitlement: absolute freak shows. I wish you could take a picture of yourselves doing this.

For one, I hate carrying stuff on me. I hate carrying cash in my pockets, I hate carrying my keys, I hate carrying my wallet and I hate carrying my cell phone, I do it all because I know I have to (except for the cell phone, sometimes I’ll just leave that in the car). Given the fact that if I had it my way, I would even re-consider eliminating having to ‘carry’ the clothes I’m wearing; surely everyone understands when I say I don’t understand how people can carry a curs-ed camera everywhere they go.

We all know that it doesn’t stop at ‘carrying’. Fuck no, they’re not crazy … only crazy people carry cameras and don’t use them. These people use them and they use them like there’s no tomorrow. They love taking pictures of random things, anything they come across. For example, they will take a picture of the road (the SAME road they already have 1423 pictures of) every single time they walk passed it.

Maybe all this is with good reason, I might have missed something and need to start catching up on my “taking pictures of everything”. “Hey look! Dog over there taking a shit… SNAP!” … “OH look! man crossing the street … SNAP!” – “Hey! There’s a blue car … SNAP!” Are you fucking kidding me? Some of those pictures are useless. Why do you feel the need to take so many goddam erroneous pictures? Please stop it. Please.

People who like to take pictures of everything obviously leave nothing to the imagination (provided it existed in the first place, I’m even willing to argue a lack of it). They want the ‘PROOF’, specific visual proof that they just witnessed whatever it was they witnessed. I of course, am the complete opposite; I cherish the rarity in the one-time visual or occurrence, otherwise …. Doesn’t it all just get boring?

I can understand and appreciate the sentimental merit of taking pictures of family or friends at any given occasion, or just anytime not necessarily being an occasion – I’ll also accept a moment of candor, or an offbeat/ funny image. But for fuck’s sake stop taking pictures of a dead bird on the sidewalk or some spilled ice cream scoop (although, I think spilled ice cream scoops would fall under ‘offbeat/ funny’ only because as children, we’ve all experienced how disastrous and devastating it can be to drop the ice cream from the cone – I’ll accept it).

I realize that there are professional photographers who do this for a living. Fine, understandable. I also realize that there are avid ‘amateurs’ who are interested in photography as a hobby or whatever. Fine, that’s also understandable … oh wait, no it's not. Is it possible to take a cue from the "professionals" and be selective about your photographs? What exactly do we all plan on doing with these pictures? How many times are you going to photograph the most unimportant and uninteresting event happening on any street?

Oh look! …Happy Friday … take a picture of that. SNAP!

Note: 180 on the topic, I want to mention serious props to M.I.A. for keeping it real to Sri-Lanka. "From Congo to Colombo, ya can’t stereotype her thing Yo. She bongo with her lingo, she salt and pepper her mango" … and … does it all on top of a big fat elephant (possibly worthy of a picture).
addendum: Today is Glass.

11 Comments:

Blogger Mybrid said...

There will be a counter-post, you can betchayer life on it!

Signed,
Avid photographer of dog-shit, blue car, and grass growing.

Stay tuned.

7:54 AM  
Blogger PaintingChef said...

Huh...that last part may just be worthy of a random picture...

9:24 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

there will also be a counter to your counterpost.

This one was just a baby, It's a friday morning, and Thursday nights supercede Friday mornings which usually means ... I'm not "feeling" too well on Friday mornings.

Catch ya on a Monday.

9:25 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Also, I see that the "MUTINY" hasn't brought it's A-game. Do all of you have equally interesting Thursday nights?

I missed something very important ... and no one called me out on it, but it'd be too late now.

9:30 AM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

Oh well then, there'll be a counter to your counter of my counter post! I'll show you! Yeah, I'll use random photos to show you!!!

Figure we could make a week of it?

10:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Right on!!!!! I hate the camera freaks, too! And I hate it when they want to take pictures of me! Go away! I DO NOT know you and I don't want you capturing my soul on your crappy digital camera.

And I don't like carrying anything around with me, either. I have no cell phone (talk about freaks), leave the keys in the car (under the driver's seat, don't tell anyone), and have the bare minimum in my really funky, internet-purchased, light-weight, recycled silk shoulder bag that was made in Kathmandu by enterprising villagers.

12:58 PM  
Blogger BeckEye said...

That's funny. I've noticed this on MySpace, where a lot of people's pictures change weekly. I always wonder how much they love themselves to be constantly taking new pictures to post.

2:56 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

I went through this phase about fifteen years ago. I have pictures of stupid, useless things as well as all kinds of people I have no idea who they are.

9:47 AM  
Blogger United We Lay said...

Pesonally, I don't believe in photographs. Everything is fleeting. To take a picture is to try to ignore that fact.

7:47 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Southerngirl,

"I don't want you capturing my soul on your crappy digital camera"

What if it were a nice $500.00 digital camera?

Watchu trynna say about cell-phone people?

BeckEye,

Haven't used MySpace but I know what you're talking about, I thought that was the whole point? "Look everyone, it's Thursday and these pink pants make my ass look smaller"


Zombieslayer,

You were a Snapper as well?!? I know you're over it, but would cameras be allowed in the anti-zombie compound?


Polanco,

Nicely put, that's exactly how I feel. Trying to take a picutre of something only detratcs from it's true value.

Everyone,

I highly recommend Mybrid's "counter post(S)" at http://mybrid.blogspot.com

...apparently there are more than one.

12:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{What if it were a nice $500.00 digital camera?}

Well, that would be totally different. But all the snap crazies I see roaming the streets have crappy ones. Maybe I need to start hanging out in Beverly Hills.

And I meant _I'm_ the freak for not having a cell phone. I think I am the only person left in the U.S. who does not have one--including children. I think babies leave the hospital with a cell phone strapped to their wrists these days.

4:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama