Wednesday, July 27, 2005

No Laughing Matter

Speaking of gas and all, I just remembered a very funny story. We’ll entitle this one “Running on Empty”.

K.M. was out one night and got himself extremely intoxicated. So intoxicated almost to the point of a blackout, where not much was clear and he didn’t really know why he felt that way. On the (safe) ride home, Dan was running out of gas while K.M. was in the passenger seat. The following conversation occurred:

Dan: Dude, we’re on E
K.M.: (SHOCKED and worried that he’d finally figured out why he feels so terrible) We Aaaare??!

Which nicely brings us onto today’s topic, comedy. As a movie genre, I think comedies are the lamest of the lame. Not quite sure why, it’s probably because I’ve rarely found comedies to be funny. In a literal sense, I don’t laugh while watching (most) comedies. I can’t think of the last comedy I truly enjoyed, Not Another Teen Movie stands out because of its spoofy nature. That’s it; I enjoy spoofy stuff that pokes fun of things I’ve seen. The Scary Movie trilogy was also OK because I’ve seen all the horror movies they spoof.

For one, I think that comedies are extremely subjective. Which means the terms “blockbuster comedy” and “hit comedy” are both farces. I’ve found that it’s quite hard to get people to agree on the funniness of a comedy. I never rush to see a comedy and almost always wait until they’re out on video, better yet; I wait until they’re on cable. Comedies just doesn’t seem to be worth the 10 dollars as let’s say, something like ….oh… The Skeleton Key would be (Am I going to get an invite to the premiere for relentlessly linking to that movie despite Kate Hudson starring in it)???

I also don’t find Will Ferrell as funny as the rest of the world thinks he is. What’s so funny? I must have missed something. Tall man who’s ALWAYS out-of-place acting goofy … OK, we fucking get it. I will say that the prison scene in Starsky and Hutch (terrible movie) was the funniest I’ve ever seen Will Ferrell. Even when he was on SNL, I thought he was just OK (Horatio Sanz is by far the funniest SNL personality, He doesn’t even need to speak … just show up).

Adam Sandler is another disaster. Nothing funny about him, I’m beginning to suspect he has a speech impediment because he uses the same, lame affected voice/ accent in all his movies. Ben Stiller is OK. He’s capitalized on his un-cool appearance by always playing the over zealous “trying too hard” role. He’s had some very funny roles. Rob Schneider is also worth a mention, in a good way.

I would talk about Martin Lawrence but his dumbass doesn’t really star in comedies. He’s a comedian that stars in action movies or unintentional comedies to add some humor. Not surprisingly, he’s always playing the Black man who doesn’t know what to do with a gun, and for some reason that’s ‘funny’. Martin is “Martin” (funny TV show) in all his movie roles.

As for the females, well… I think it goes without saying that there’s a serious shortage of female comediennes in movies when certain comedies settle for J-Lo in the starring role. J-Lo was EXCELLENT in “In Living Color,” her best work yet.

It should also go without mention that I despise the “racial comedies”. You know the drill, take a white guy or girl and put their ass in “the hood” … You’re guaranteed a scene in the club where the white guy makes an ass out of himself (and then miraculously garners the support and admiration of the thuggish hip hop crowd) which in turn leads to their black co-stars FINALLY “appreciating” them and we have the equivalent of racial-comedic world peace. Give me a fucking break.

Now, what happens when you get the ‘serious’ actors doing comedy? A disaster. The formula is equally as lame as that of the racial-comedy; they poke fun at their own ‘seriousness’ and go through the entire movie as if playing themselves.

I will say that I’m more likely to laugh during horror movies. Again, I’m not sure why but I think it’s me subconsciously breaking the ‘tension’ by laughing at myself (and how affected I am by the events unfolding). I also laugh when other people react by screaming, or yelling their “oh my gods” or breaking out into full prayer. My favorite was when I watched The Village in theatres, we were sitting in a row full of high school students (about 14 or so) and EVERY single minute was a co-ed scream fest (even though the movie wasn’t really ‘scary’?)

I saw an online trailer for Deuce Bigelow: European Gigolo, despite today’s post I’m very excited about this movie as I thought the first one was great. Maybe I’ll shell out 10 dollars to see it, but only if I can walk to the theatre because you know, walking is good for you.

Note: Comedy on television is much better with the likes of Dave Chappelle running the show. Today: Steel

23 Comments:

Blogger Mybrid said...

In the women dept: I cannot believe you left out Whoopi Goldberg!!!

Among the women there's also Uma Thurman ("Keeping the Faith"), which I've been enjoying since Dharma and Greg.

As for me, I'd rather shell out $10 for a comedy than anything else. All other movies are real life. Comedies are when I escape from real life.

My personal favourites are of course Robin Williams and Gene Wilder. Peter Sellers comes in close behind.

8:10 AM  
Blogger The Hard-working Slacker said...

Comedy films these days are how you say in 'henglish' 'boolsheet'. I can't stand em and I know I definitely wouldn't shell out £5.60 (student concession for how long I don't know!) for the crap that comes out under the description of 'The year's funniest comedy' like Wedding Crashers. OMG how cheap does that film look? I never understood the fascination behind the likes of:

Owen Wilson (do something about that bent nose)
Will Ferrel (tall unfunny retard)
Adam Sandler (Just a retard)
Ben Stiller (borderline)

Dammit I've run out of names.

I say comedy is best delivered in 30 minute sitcoms and stand-up routines. And somewhere out there, there's scientific proof of this, just don't ask me where.

8:36 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Mybrid,

I practically don't know anyone you mentioned.

Easy on those names you threw out, you might just show us your age

:P

8:45 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Emran Hussein-Ibrahim (was that the dude's name?),

I've actually heard Wedding Crashers is a decent watch - but then again I heard the same thing about lots of other movies that I thought were terrible.

I agree with you though, 30 minutes of comedy is definitely a scientifically-backed hypothesis.

8:47 AM  
Blogger The Hard-working Slacker said...

You've never heard of Gene Wilder or Peter Sellers? Do the films Blazing Saddles (Wilder), Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Wilder), Pink Panther (Sellers), The Party (Sellers...'Buddy nam nam'LOL!) ring a bell?!!

I'm sure you have, cos these are really good films. And Robin Williams rocks especially in his Mork and Mindy days! Patch Adams wasn't bad either.

9:35 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

I've heard of them, I was just pointing out that they're a dying breed, not unlike the Richard Pryors (already dead), Eddie Murphys, etc.

I've never been a huge Whoopi Goldberg fan, I think Wanda Sykes is miles funnier.

11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate all the sophmoric comdies out these days and don't watch any of them (DUMB AND DUMBER, MEET THE PARENTS, ANYTHING WITH WILL FARREL OR ADAM SANDLER, ETC, ETC)

Give me dark humor any day. My favorite comedy--RAISING ARIZONA.

11:56 AM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

Emran, it's "BIRDY Num Num" :-)
I've actually been introduced to it by someone CS knows.

12:06 PM  
Blogger The Hard-working Slacker said...

Oh yeah I'm loving all of 'em 'Mowtown' of comedy comics like Richard Pryor, Bill Cosby (keeping it clean as always), Eddie Murphy.

I don't seem to like the newby black comics like Chris Rock, Chris Tucker and Burnie Mac BUT with the exception of Dave Chappelle even though he is allegedly recuperating in South Africa these days (must be the reefer) which is why season 3 of his show hasn't started yet.

I love how in your face yet subtle his sketches can be like the one where he was demanding reparations from the US govt for slavery LOL! Nyuk nyuk nyuk!

1:00 PM  
Blogger PaintingChef said...

The one comedy that always makes me laugh... "Gross Point Blank". Never fails, I will laugh at that movie.

I agree about Whoopi, she is still pretty funny. Intelligently so which is the only funny I can handle. And I also agree about the actress from Dharma and Greg although I think that was Jenna Elfman and not Uma Thurman.

And Dave Chappelle...DAMN that man is comedic genuis. I also think that given the right movie, there are some people who will keep me laughing. The entire casts of Oceans 11 and the Italian Job. Those aren't intentionally funny movies but they both gave me alittle giggle.

Comedies try too hard to be comedies these days. And the gross-out humor has really gone too far. Most of the movies with SNL castmembers just irritate me. With the exception of Horatio Sanz, I totally agree on that point. But most them...Night at the Roxbury, Anchorman, ANYTHING with Adam Sandler, just WRETCHED.

1:20 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

Painting chef: "DOH!" You're absolutely correct. At least I had the "..man" correct, huh?

TFL: Robin Williams is not on your list. Was that an oversight or intentional? I also completely agree with your assessment of Jerry Seinfeld. I could never understand why people watched him.

1:47 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Ah, stand up folks are something else. I enjoy most stand up acts.

I think LaVelle Crawford is immensely talented (OUTSTANDING!)

Oh, Margaret Cho is funny when she makes fun of her mom. MMMMOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRAN

1:53 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

YES! Have I managed to organize a mutiny against mainstream comedy?!?

VIVA LA RESISTANCE! - Speaking of, the cartoons are worth a mention, South Park and Simpsons are good entertainment.

Southerngirl,
Yes "sophomoric" comedies Suck. Everyone you mentioned sucks as well.

'Raising Arizona' - I should probably re-watch it, I didn't recall being overly impressed, maybe I'm confusing it with another movie.

Mybrid,
Yes! it IS "Birdy Num Num" -- Haha, The person that I know who introduced you to it, is right!

Emran,

My favorite Chappelle skit is the racial draft. Especially the "two for 1" with Powell and Rice :)

TFL,

Chaley, what a great synapsis. Although I would flip-flop Dave Chappelle (put him into the 'talented' category)

I.HATE.JERRY.SEINFELD.AND.HAVE.NEVER.LAUGHED.AT.A.SINGLE.SEINFELD.JOKE.I.CANNOT.EVEN.WATCH.THE.SHOW.IT.PAINS.ME.TO.NO.END.ESPECIALLY.KNOWING.THAT.HE.MAKES.5.MILLION.FOR.EVERY.SINGLE.LAME.UNFUNNY.EPISODE.

P Chef,

Well said, yeah those SNL bastardized movies are terrible. The whole point of SNL is the "L" part of it all, when they translate those skits into Movies, they suck.

I loved the "SUPERSTAR!" skit on SNL, and then when Molly Shannon went and did SUPERSTAR! the movie, it sucked tremendously. :(


Mybrid,

(see above about Seinfeld)

It's okay, Iconfuse Uma Thurman and Jenna Elfman all the time. They're both blonde. and tall.

2:22 PM  
Blogger The Hard-working Slacker said...

you might wanna check out some of the modern british comics like Marcus Brigstocke (very political) (www.marcusbrigstocke.com) and the likes of Rory Bremner (Very political) and Mark Thomas. I guess its a pretty niche sector of comedy but hey I like it, you can find more UK comics at www.chortle.co.uk.

But I've more love for US comedy probably cos' I grew up on the stuff. The Cosby Show, Different Strokes, Cheers, Frasier and I'm leaning towards friends but then again nah, its too darn cheesy a lot of the time.

Everybody loves Raymond's good too and so was(/is?) Spin City!

Love Denis Leary's rough edged version of comedy he just calls it as he sees it which I like.

Some lesser known comics I guess I've heard of are Ahmed Ahmed (www.ahmed-ahmed.com) and Azhar Usman (www.azhar.com) of the 'Allah made me funny' comedy circuit.

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PC,

I love John Cusak. I loved Gross Point Blank and High Fidelity.

CS,

Great stand-up comedians: Robin Willims, Kathy Griffin, Ellen Degeneres.

2:24 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

OK, my peace on Seinfeld didn't show up. so here it is without a period afetr every word:

I HATE JERRY SEINFELD AND HAVE NEVER LAUGHED AT A SINGLE SEINFELD JOKE I CANNOT EVEN WATCH THE SHOW IT PAINS ME TO NO END ESPECIALLY KNOWING THAT HE MAKES 5 MILLION FOR EVERY SINGLE LAME UNFUNNY EPISODE.

2:28 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Why hasn't anyone mentioned THE MAN, THE MASTER:

Benny Hill?

2:44 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

Emran, if we've moved on to British comedians then I believe John Cleese deserves an honorable mention here. Most definitely up there on my list.

3:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mybrid that was an oversight. His name never came to mind. There are others that I should have listed, but didn't remember at the time. I myself wouldn't list Robin Williams an one of the top ones though. He's never made me laugh ever. I might get a slight chuckle from him but thats about it.

3:12 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

TFL, I'm disappointed by your statement about Benny Hill. I place his juvenile humour right down there with Jerry Seinfeld's lack of humour. I HATED Benny Hill.

3:29 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Benny Hill was funny.

They always played the best music to accompany gratuitous shots of women's asses.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

SG....Rasing Arizona is a classic. My fav.

I also think Ellen is damn funny. And wanda sykes. And Kathleen Madigan.

and what about Lewis Black? Or Bill Hicks? Stephen Wright always makes me laugh. Lenny Bruce, George Carlin...

Comedic actors: Bernie Mac. funny man. Steve Martin.

i am too tired to think right now.
CS, will be back with more.... ;-)

12:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Melanie-

Lewis Black is hysterical--one of the best things about the Daily Show. I loved it when he creamed Tom Cruise. LOLOLOL!

11:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama