Thursday, August 04, 2005

Cornbread, Fish and Collard Greens

(The title is somewhat unrelated, it's a hot song though).

We all have daily routines that can be somewhat stressful at times, so the last thing anyone needs to be doing is come home and cook dinner. Remember, I am a sheep and I hate to go against the majority so I absolutely DO NOT look forward to coming home and preparing dinner.
Again, please don’t mistake my disinterest for an inability to cook, because I really think I can bang it out, most of the time (as long as it’s not a fucking cake). Which means you can go ahead and mistake my disinterest for laziness if you want … I like to think it’s for reasons more like a ‘lack of groceries’.

However, everyone knows that one has to eat. You know the drill, 3 full meals a day or “five to seven smaller ones” if you’re packing some junk in the trunk What a crock of shit – What am I? A fucking mouse? You want me to nibble on food all day?

So what do people who are disinterested in cooking everyday do to eat? One of three:

a) Eat Out.
b) Order Delivery
c) Marry a stay at home wife (OR husband, for all you high-powered career ladies out there - you see how politically correct I am? After all, Condoleeza Rice may be reading this).

Any marriage that I'm involved in over the next 5 years would be highly unlikely and probably not so sweet for the lucky lady (also, according to some, divorce is definitely in my future because I bore too easily). It’s cool, this is for an entirely separate post, but I will say that if that’s the case …I’m getting my name legally changed to Pre-nup O. Pre-nup, you know, it works both ways.

I eat out often and it’s not really fun, it requires a decent amount of planning and you end up wasting the majority of the evening because eating out is such an involved process.

I’m left with the delivery option. Delivery is cool, you can order some really fattening stuff and have it sent home to you, and so that way, you don’t even have to burn those extra calories when tying your shoelaces to go out (EVERYONE answers the door for a delivery barefooted).

Case in point, I order delivery the other day and I usually pay by plastic over the phone (because remember, I hate carrying things on me, among them is cash). Given how it’s all panned out recently, it’s probably a good thing to lay low and order some food every now and then … It’s not Delivery, it’s D-ucking from helicopters.

This particular store requires you to show the plastic magic when the driver brings your food. They perform some ghetto-bastardized version of a carbon copy (put your card under the receipt and rub it with a coin) and THEN, only then will they give you your food. Apparently this is a MUST, and every time (not too often, about 5 times, ever) I’ve ordered from here, I’ve had to show my card.

The delivery guy shows up the other day, and instinctually, I give him my card. He then goes:

"Nah man, it’s cool I remember you, I’ve been delivering to you for three years."

Really? That’s funny; I’ve only lived here for just shy of a year. Of course I didn’t tell him that, it would be stupid of me to tell him that because I’ve been a first-hand witness/ observer on what delivery drivers could do to your food if you’re an asshole.

Everyone knows that, I’d mention the details but the Internet is corrupting our kids these days … and though this is not exactly a family oriented bl…AH what the heck, Motherfuckers spit in your food, sprinkle shoe dirt on your food and an ex co-worker claims to have even urinated on someone’s food. I’m just saying …

But I digress, so this guy has had a long day, a long week, a long month, maybe even a long year … but DAMN, it’s pretty rough when you mistake five trips in the span of several months for THREE years. He could have been backhandedly telling me I’m a lazy ass motherfucker and need to start cooking more, who knows?

It happened with television, and now it’s happening with delivery … I’m on an indefinite boycott from ordering delivery. In fact, today I’ll go over to the grocery store and buy some groceries (I’ve always loved how we buy groceries at the grocery store … as opposed to other shit like car batteries and you know, handcuffs). I’m not talking canned or microwavable stuff, which would be terribly foolish since I don’t really have a microwave, I’m talking the real deal here … fresh, labor-intensive produce and meat that’s full of skin and bones.

Note: this reminds me of a co-worker, KM. We went to eat buffalo wings for lunch one day; she would take one bite from the wing, and discard it. Finally, someone asked her why she’s doing that and she told us that she absolutely CANNOT allow bones to come in contact with her teeth. Today: I think it’s time to stop this glass/steel stuff. I’ll explain sometime soon (plus the damn thing's been stuck on steel for a while).

24 Comments:

Blogger Mybrid said...

You had me laughing out loud here, Pre-nup O. Pre-nup. Now I have to explain to my coworker what's so funny early in the morning.

I've resolved the problem of not wanting to cook, eat out or order, by simply not eating. It works well.

Thanks for the good laugh this morning. Much needed.

8:04 AM  
Blogger The Hard-working Slacker said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

8:44 AM  
Blogger The Hard-working Slacker said...

Oh man Nafie you certainly made me laugh as well! Likin' yo style brotha! Good to know you're finally takin ur lazy ass for a walk and getting some fresh veg (OKKKAY AND MEAT!) in yer system!

You totally blew my mind by saying that! Lets hope I don't come and visit you and say something as cheesy as 'What's cookin fat-lookin?'. Ahh cherish the thought when you had them 'luurve handles' back in DC (bouncy bouncy, I'm gonna get deleted for that for sure..gulp!). And all the chicas would just latch on to you because...ahh nevermind...

Smell ya laterz dude!

8:46 AM  
Blogger PaintingChef said...

Hysterical! Good luck with the whole cooking thing. And may I suggest take-out? You don't have to waste all that time in the restaurant, just call them and order it to go. You also don't have to deal with the delivery people. My husband doesn't realize it but take-out is in his immediate future because I forgot to set anything out to defrost.

9:35 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's been too damn hot to cook around here, so I've been in sandwich mode lately (hats off to the Earl of Sandwich). Well, sandwich and magarita mode.

11:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And why does _broke_ Nafie O. Nafie need a prenup o. prenup? Is there a family fortune hidden away somewhere?????

11:10 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Mybrid,
Not eating is a great suggestion. Probably a little harder to keep it going for a while though, wouldn't it be great if we could eat Toilet paper or something like that?

comment deleted,
Why?

Emran ,
What? Did southerngirl give you too much Rum and Weed this morning? haha

No one said anything about WALKING to the grocery store. You don't eat Meat?

Oh, and please don't say anything cheesy or 'smell' me.


P chef,
Do you usually come home and cook after 8 hours of work?! Fuck that- Take out everyday then. As for take-out, I hear that the Take-Out folks get all the left overs. They're not gonna see it until they get home and won't be around to complain afterwards...

TFL,

Have you ever witnessed HB mess up a batch of Jolof? It has one of the most highly entertaining events.

As soon as he realizes that the Jolof had bombed ... He'll first attempt an 'emergency' rescue, then he'll ask someone to "stir the pot" or "watch the pot" -- He'll disappear for a few minutes, come back and blame the poor pot stirrer ... OH MY GOD you ruined the Jolof. lol

Southerngirl,

Oh I forgot about sandwiches. They're easy, they're fun, they're quick.

(So are girls who drink too many Margaritas ... again, that's for another post)

And as far as the prenup O. prenup goes, "broke" is only a state of mind ... It's temporary and I plan to win a jackpot in 2007.

11:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since you're planning on winning a jackpot, why don't you move it up to late 2005?

(Looking forward to the girls drunk on margaritas post)

12:01 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

CS, about the jackpot, my husband has been planning on winning the lottery for the past ten years. Don't give up hope!

12:39 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

SG (your new nickname),

I wish I could move it up to 2005, but these things are out of my control.

Besides, 2007 isn't that far away. It's August already.


Mybrid,
I have to re-listen to the tape -- but I've been told that 2007 is 'IT' for me. Whatever the hell that means.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

TFL, photos of girls who drink Margaritas coming right up. Give me an hour to get back home.

3:56 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Damn, I was kidding around and making references to somewhat 'fictional' and 'illusive' characters (quick and easy).

Mybrid, if you've got 'em ... show us.

Tonight is Thrusday. Thursday is my favorite day of the week.

4:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why Thursday? Why not Friday? I mean Friday has a restaurant named after it and everything.

And I don't care if you didn't mean it...I want to see a post about drunk girls on margaritas.

5:08 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

To CS and all you eager drunks,
girls drinking margaritas.

5:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mybrid-

LOL! Did you attend a masked ball that New Year's Eve?

And BTW, I believe I saw some cosmopolitans snuck in there.

5:15 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

sg, masked indeed. I had to cover their eyes so they don't recognize each other or what margarita they're holding.

What's a cosmpolitan?

5:38 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

What's a cosmpolitan?

The red stuff in those pics.

5:43 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Although Friday has it's own restaurant (so does Tuesday), Thursday is a much more happening night. Everyone knows that.

5:45 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

CS, thanks for the explanation. I don't do alcohol (never touched it), so I obviously have no idea what these gals are drinking.

5:58 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Dude, this post was hilarious. It had so many funny parts. You really should consider stand-up or something. If you could say something this funny on stage, you'd be making some good money.

9:44 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Zombieslayer, glad you enjoyed it.

Although, no need to 'say' anything, Me standing on stage should get a few decent laughs anyways.

8:55 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

TFL,

Yes.
Yes.
Local Downtown.
1 block.
0 miles.
Walk. (or roll down the hill)
6:30
Depends.
Depends.
Depends.
Next Question.
$2-$7
Depends.
1:2 or 2:3

12:41 PM  
Blogger funny bunny said...

Kudos for the much needed laugh man! rite now am eating whatever my mom cooks for me...i'm so lucky that i can even complain sometimes

nah! i never order food and i don't eat out...i get GAS when i do that...i hate GAS...hehe...your tummy swells like a big ballooon and those strange noise constantly rumbbled in your tummy....i sort of admire you for growing immunity to the food all those ordered foods..

i got solutions for you though
1. eat vegetable...you don't have to cook em or
2. get microwave
3. if you like rice....how about a ricecooker

if you're one of those guys who are crazy about pizza, hotdog and ham....i got no remedy...hehe

4:38 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

Tenxin,

You're right 'GAS' is a whole 'nother issue - I like your suggestions for avoiding the dine-out trap.

What vegetables are good raw? I'm thinking lettuce, spinach, carrots, tomatoes.

7:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama