Friday, August 05, 2005

The Skeleton Keys

Can everyone bear me talking about The Skeleton Key” anymore? I might as well just write about it from here on out, until August 12th hits and I can finally fulfill my boredom by picking up a new obsession from the previews I see.

The answer is no, not even I can bear talking about this movie anymore (but I’ll still see it) and since it’s Friday, we don’t really have to talk about things we don’t want to talk about – ya heard? (One LAST thing, the old lady in the previews, with the blanked out eyes looks wicked)!

Spare me, spare you … I didn’t really plan on talking about that to close out the week. Instead, I give you something else:

Hi, I’m Nafie and I have eleven keys on my keychain. Technically, there are only four keys out of this set of 11 that I use on a daily basis. One would bring forth an argument over why I carry eleven keys if I only use four of them. The answer is simple, where else would the other seven keys go?

I don’t want to lose them as I use them (yeah, intentional rhyme … 50 ain’t got shit on me) every now and then, so it wouldn’t really make sense for me to put those keys away. I’d either a) keep them in the car, or b) keep them in my apartment both of which I’d need A key to access so why not just keep them all together in the first place, on the key chain that was made to hold the keys.

I’m one of those people who throw their keys on the table (as opposed to keeping my keys in my pocket). I hate this about myself, I think it’s such a vulgar and socially intrusive act and when OTHER people do it, I feel like telling them to take their shit and put it back in their pockets, where the sun don’t shine. I personally do it out of frustration and a need to part with my clunk of keys as fast as possible. I presume others do it for other reasons and those OTHER reasons fall under the above description.

Throwing my keys on the nearest table or countertop is just asking for disaster isn't it? It would be too easy to forget them somewhere. However, I doubt that will ever happen to me because I’ve lost my keys once and it wasn’t pleasant (technically didn’t ‘lose’ them, I locked them in the car during a serious rainstorm). Since that cursed night, I vowed never to let it happen again. What I do now is basically treat them like a bunch of kids (11), that I have to watch over 24/7, and I haven’t lost them since (see, I CAN be responsible afterall, will baby-sit for food).

Now, I’m a peaceful guy, I’ve only been in one fight my whole entire life. Of course, one fight constitutes the other person putting up a resistance and actually hitting me back. The ones where I knock ‘em down without taking any damage don’t count as full-blown ‘fights’. It’s not worth an entire post, so I’ll just summarize the story:

I don’t even remember the reason but this kid got in my face about some stupid shit. I think I was 13 or so. I was into the whole WWF thing back then, so he PUSHED me first and punched my arm. Out of self-defense (of course), I pummeled him back until he was dragging on the floor, but I was still mad and decided that I would keep going and see if I can execute some of my favorite wrestling moves.

I tried to go for Bret Hart’s Sharpshooter, but it was too tough to master and I’ve seen it being countered on too many times … so I figured I’d go for Razor Ramon’s much simpler Razor’s Edge or a Jackknife Powerbomb, ala Big Daddy Cool Diesel (Kevin Nash). Luckily, Mr. Nixon caught the fight and we got sent to detention. Which was probably better for me than making front-page news for breaking someone’s neck.

Point of the story? I’ve always figured that having eleven keys would be good for self-defense if I get hassled by a group of drunkards. One full swing (topspin forehand style) and someone would be getting several needles to their face. Again, I’m not a violent person, I’m just saying …

Advice: If approached by a group wanting to beat you up, focus your attention on just ONE person, the biggest most menacing person. Make an example out of him and the rest will scurry off like vermin (or tend to their friend, also like vermin).

Happy Friday.

Note: Now that I’ve quit the whole Glass Steel thing, I need to find something else to lengthen my post by a couple extra words. Still thinking about it, but for now, jam of the moment: Lucy Pearl – “I can’t stand your mother.”

26 Comments:

Blogger PaintingChef said...

I can't even watch the previews for that movie without getting freaked out.

Interesting about the keys...I have 10, use 3 regularly, and have absolutely no CLUE what 4 of them are for. I do remember learning how to carry them when you are walking alone in a parking lot or somewhere to have them ready for self-defense so I know HOW to use them as a weapon, I just never have.

9:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have one key--one. It's the car key and I always (as noted before) leave it in the car. I don't even have a house key because I never lock the house. Ain't livin' in the South grand?

Just saw a great Argentinian movie, "Son of the Bride". Incredibly funny with great dialog. My favorite exchange:

The priest tells Rafael, "God is neither man nor woman and is neither black nor white." Rafael retorts, "That's not God. That's Michael Jackson."

And there's this:

"Only die-hard Hudson fans or desperate horror junkies will find The Skeleton Key worth unlocking."
-- Nev Pierce, BBC

Are you either?

12:09 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

P chef,

I know, I know ... the previews look great!!! I just hope it's not like every other horror movie in recent history that came at us with great previews but a shitty movie.

Also, I didn't know there was 'technique' to using your keys as a weapon. Is it cool?

TFL,
A full bottle of beer works well too ... but not because you can hit them with it but rather because of the fact that it would make a GREAT bribe.

"Hey listen [dumbass frat guys (but don't say this one loud)] I'm not looking for trouble, here's a full bottle of beer, you guys can share it."

SG,

Haha, I dig the MJ line.

As far as the BBC review, we ALL know the British are uptight. For fuck's sake they haven't given us anything decent since Mr. Bean.

But to answer your question, No, I am not a die-hard Hudson fan ... I don't like her at all (as noted before).

I guess you could say I'm a desperate horror junkie. It has to be a good horror because otherwise I'd dismiss it as cheese.

12:30 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Oh and it must be nice to live somewhere where you don't need to lock your door (or car). Grand indeed!!!

Do they have running water where you're at? ;)

12:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CS--

Running water???? What's that? We have to walk _twelve_ miles to the crick to get a bucket full of water and then carry it _twelve_ miles back to he house. Who needs a personal trainer?

And don't be so hard on the British. I LOVED "Lock, Stock, and Two Smoking Barrels'.

Let's see what the Americans have to say:

"The Skeleton Key is unable to ward off the nasty spirits of formula screenwriting."
-- Robert Koehler, VARIETY

"Kruger's surprise ending fails to pack the kind of wallop to justify the momentary head-scratching, while there are too few moments leading up to the big reveal that will give audiences the kind of jolt they're expecting."
-- Michael Rechtshaffen, HOLLYWOOD REPORTER

I LOVE good horror movies, but this does not look like its going to be one.

3:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TFL-

Welcome to livin' in the country! I hope your crick is closer than mine. Where are you moving to?

3:19 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

TFL,

Whodey! Does it snow in the country? I suggest a few refresher courses on competitive cross-country skiing.

3:23 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

southerngirl,

Every review I ever read just tries to burst my bubble. I actually think most reviewers just don't get 'IT'.

Some movies go deeper than what those fools can fathom ... they praise silly, shallow movies and miss the whole point on some hot ones.

I'll have to see The Skeleton Key and make my own call on that one.

So what are some of your favorite horror Movies?

3:38 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Hee hee. I have 16 keys. ;)

Funny thing is one thing that attracted Mrs. Zombieslayer to me is I had a lot of keys. She's under the impression that guys with lots of keys have important duties.

I don't even know what half these keys are. We currently have two rentals, but I have no idea which keys go to those. One's my car key. One's a lock to a fireproof box.

Oh, and yes, throwing your keys on the table is asking for disaster. What if you forget something outside, go get it, then you lock yourself out and it will be right at that moment that the zombie plague hits!

4:25 PM  
Blogger The Zombieslayer said...

Cultureshocked - Also wanted to add that it's just stupid of the TSA to ban fingernail clippers when you have car keys (but what do you expect from the world's dumbest people?). yes, car keys make excellent weapons. Just use one key and use it as you would a blade. Learned that in my Kali/Escrima class. Metal beats flesh every time.

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read reviews to decide if I'm going to spend the big bucks to see the movie in the theater or wait for the DVD to come out. Skelton Key looks like DVD material to me. But let me know what you think about it.

The best horror movies:

The Exorcist
The Haunting (1963)
The Shining
Poltergist (only the first one)
invasion of the Body Snatchers
Alien
Alien 2
Twilight Zone: The movie (especially the John Lithgow on the airplane segment)
And when I was young THEM scared the bejeezus out of me.

The worst horror movies:

Blair Witch Project
The Ring
The Omen
All the Halloween movies
All teh Scream movies
And definitely all the stupid Freddie Kruger shit

5:20 PM  
Blogger Mermaid Melanie said...

the horror, the absolute horror!

i have 8 keys. and only use 5. pretty good odds. the only reason the other ones are on there is because i am too lazy to take them off.

and here in Hell, the south, the land of dixie, trucks, guns, etc. we have running water. and cement ponds. and loads of large flyin critters.

oh, and armed robbers too...strung out on cheap drugs.

and i find the scariest horror movies are asian. oh yea, those folks have some scary shit.

10:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, the absolute best horror movie--

THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW

(and doin' the Time Warp)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

TFL, Look who's talking! You're the one who hasn't updated his blog in MONTHS! What goes around comes around, man.
Now, go write something, dammit.

1:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TFL,

Bravo! (whistling and clapping)

Very well done!

And you're right. This blog is a little community. Kudos to our fearless leader, CS.

2:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TFL,

A friend just e-mailed this to me. Thought I'd share it with you.

"Acclaimed novelist E.L. Doctorow has penned some words about George W. Bush and his understanding of death and this war. "This president," wrote Doctorow, "does not know what death is. He hasn't the mind for it. You see him joking with the press, peering under the table for the WMDs he can't seem to find, you see him at rallies strutting up to the stage
in shirt sleeves to the roar of the carefully screened crowd, smiling
and waving, triumphal, a he-man. He does not mourn. He doesn't understand why he should mourn. He is satisfied during the course of a speech written for him to look solemn for a moment and speak of the
brave young Americans who made the ultimate sacrifice for their country."

"But you study him," continued Doctorow, "you look into his eyes and know he dissembles an emotion which he does not feel in the depths of his being because he has no capacity for it. He does not feel a personal responsibility for the thousand dead young men and women who wanted to be what they could be. They come to his desk not as youngsters with
mothers and fathers or wives and children who will suffer to the end of their days a terribly torn fabric of familial relationships and the inconsolable remembrance of aborted life. They come to his desk as a political liability which is why the press is not permitted to
photograph the arrival of their coffins from Iraq. How then can he mourn? To mourn is to express regret and he regrets nothing."

2:53 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Zombieslayer,
We can't have a key disaster when the zombie plague hits. As far as women thinking keys = power/ importance -- I don't think they buy that stuff anymore. Nowadays, they've learned to become savvy and resistant to our simple techniques.

I agree, metal beats flesh everytime ... except of aluminum foil, although I did get a pretty nasty cut from it one time. My one question is: Does Metal beat zombie flesh?

Southerngirl (1),
The Exorcist - Yes
The Haunting (1963) - Yes
The Shining - Yes
Poltergist - No
Invasion of the Body Snatchers - No
Alien – No (not really a horror)
Alien 2 – No (not really a horror)
Twilight Zone: The movie - No

The worst horror movies:

Blair Witch Project - Bad
The Ring - OK
The Omen - OK
All the Halloween movies - BAD
All the Scream movies - TERRIBLE
And definitely all the stupid Freddie Kruger shit – OK

As for Rocky Horror PS - I didn't like it.

Melanie,
5 out of 8 is pretty good odds that you'll pick the right key when you need it.

I'm not sure what's worse, armed robbers strung out on cheap drugs or "flying" critters. Hmmm...

But I do enjoy some of the Asian horror movies, "The Grudge" etc.

TFL (1),
Hahah, get enrolled in the course. ASAP.

TFL (2),
I'm speechless - that was a hot rhyme, did you give it a title yet?

Mybrid,
Yes, agreed, TFL needs to update his blog.

Southerngirl (2),
Me leading any sort of community is a little worrisome. Consult zombieslayer on what would happen to this community during the zombie plague. Thanks for the kudos though.

Southerngirl and TFL,
Your bonding over this "greater evil" reminds me of the time I made the secretaries google Lil' Kim.


EVERYONE,

IS IT SUNDAY ALREADY??!?!

:(

6:50 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

That might have been my longest comment.

6:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nothing wrong with Sundays. It's a nice day to kick back and contemplate.

CS---I think it's your place I'm heading to whenever there is a zombie attack.

10:41 PM  
Blogger aNON said...

Everything is wrong with Sunday. I have never liked Sundays for as long as I can remember.

PARENTAL ADVISORY:

Now,

CS---I think it's your place I'm heading to whenever there is a zombie attack.

Email me for directions (seriously).

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CS-

{Nowadays, they've learned to become savvy and resistant to our simple techniques.}

So true.

{As for Rocky Horror PS - I didn't like it.}

You just don't know how to do the Time Warp. I'll show you.

{the time I made the secretaries google Lil' Kim. }

Was this a world changing experience?

10:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

{Email me for directions }

At the first signs of a zombie plague, I will. Until then, I shall continue mining the salt mines here in the south. ; )

But until the plague, I will continue to be a member of your community. Can I be mayor?

11:06 PM  
Blogger funny bunny said...

umm...haven't watched the movie *pity*....actually didn't even hear about it...haha

1:54 AM  
Blogger Mybrid said...

SG,

Unrelated to this discussion but figured this is where you'd check posts - can you please email me? No, it's not for directions. ;-)

I got a question for ya.

Mybrid@comcast.net

5:50 AM  
Blogger aNON said...

SG,

Are mayors part of a democracy? Will I get invaded if I say I'm not running a democracy? ;)

TFL,

I like the title. Although, I thought SUNDAY had something to do with it?

Tenxin,

The movie looks interesting. It's all about Black magic, conjure, sacrifice etc. You know, things that make a great breakfast. Check out the trailer.

Mybrid,
Is this a salt mining question?!

7:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

CS-

Hell, no on the democracy issue. Mayors should be appointed by the ruling czar (that'd be you). Kickbacks would be involved.

12:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

blogarama